The risk of knots in the coat
Knots in the fur are a health hazard
The daily brushing of dogs or cats is not just a question of aesthetics. It also serves to improve the quality of life. Believe it or not, the knots in the coat are a risk to your pet’s health. In this article, we’ll explain why that is.
Why do knots have to be felted in the fur?
Even if we have a short-haired dog or cat, we should brush it regularly to remove the dead dander and avoid odor. For pets with long hair, it is important to brush them every day. When nodes form, they get worse and worse until there is only one way out: to the dog hairdresser.
One of the main problems of knots in the coat is that they form a layer that does not allow the skin to “breathe”. This makes mushrooms and bacteria easier to play with. If a dog is bathed in matted fur, the risk is even greater as the skin underneath can not dry properly.
The hair gets bogged down by the daily movements of the dogs, especially between the hind legs, in the groin, behind the ears, on the hip, on the neck and under the front legs. If the quadruped is not properly brushed and cared for, his skin may suffer. Sometimes hair has to be cut very short, which can be complicated if the hair is already matted at the neck.
Hair balls in dogs or cats can be removed with a special comb. Even if the animal complains or does not want to keep still, it is a routine we should use to prevent knots.
Note that in pets with large lymph nodes on the skin surface that cause discomfort, the lumps should be removed by a specialist.
How can knots in a dog’s hair be removed?
Not only does a knot look ugly, but it can also affect your health, so it is important to brush the coat every day or at least several times a week. Write it in your calendar or put an alarm on the phone, so as not to forget it. You can use the time in front of the TV to brush your dog.
If there are still knots, you should note the following tips:
- If it is not very tight and moving, the knot can be loosened with no problem with your fingers. Do not use a comb because it makes the knot even tighter.
- Prepare a bath of hot water for the pet and treat the animal with proper dog shampoo and a special conditioner. Let the product work for 5 minutes, you can now entertain the dog with a toy.
- Rinse the dancah with plenty of warm water until no residue is left. Dry with a hair dryer or a towel. Then comb with a metal comb with big prongs to remove the knots.
- If there is no way to untangle them, then only the scissors will be of use. Be careful so as not to hurt the dog.
- As a last resort, there is still the possibility to use a razor. The skin of the dog or cat is irritated by the knots. When a razor is used, it worsens the condition even more. This causes too much itching and redness.