Dog with diarrhea: which food is recommended?
In case of diarrhea, the four-legged friends should not eat for 24 hours, because if this condition is caused by intestinal bacteria, they die during this time by missing nutrients. Then recommend a Schondiät and plenty of water.
Dogs often suffer from diarrhea, but we are usually unaware that this condition could be serious if not properly treated. There is a risk of dehydration or more serious consequences of harmful intestinal bacteria.
Then you will learn more about the causes and what you can feed your dog with diarrhea.
Causes of diarrhea in dogs
Before we go into detail about feeding the dog with diarrhea, it is important to know possible causes:
- Since dogs sniff and lick at the street on various things, and often have direct contact with other animals, harmful bacteria have an easy game. These can lead to diarrhea, among other things.
- If a dog eats spoiled food that he finds on the street or in the trash, for example, he may also develop intestinal complaints such as diarrhea. You can not control everything a dog finds and eats.
- Food intolerance can also cause diarrhea. The incompatibility can occur suddenly and unexpectedly. In this case, you should bring the dog to the vet best, especially when it comes to complaints often and these can not be prevented with the right diet.
- Since dogs take everything in their mouths, even an object that they have accidentally swallowed could be to blame for the complaints. Most of the time, however, the dog vomits in this case the swallowed, but even diarrhea can be the result.
- A bad or bad diet can also have various health consequences for the dog. Maybe you chose a raw diet that does not make the dog feel good, or you chose the wrong dry food, maybe you feed it too much or the food contains foods that are not good for it. Talk to a veterinarian if diarrhea is common to improve your diet. Follow his recommendations regarding quantity and quality of the feed.
What can a dog eat with diarrhea?
You now know possible causes and can prevent them as far as possible. Which feed you can give your dog in case of diarrhea, you will now learn:
A dog with diarrhea should not receive any food for at least 24 hours so as not to aggravate the situation. When harmful bacteria cause the disease, they will die if they are not fed.
Plenty of water
Water is fundamental, because diarrhea could lead to dehydration! At first the dog may have to break through water, but be patient and give him a few sips, if necessary with a syringe in the mouth. You’ll see how good he is!
Once at least 24 hours have passed without eating, you can start with a light diet. If no relief occurs, you should bring the animal to the vet in any case!
The menu for the sick dog may include rice, cooked chicken (without salt) or cooked fish, depending on what your fur nose tastes best. Give the dog only 3 to 4 small portions, which you distribute on the day.
Do not worry if your dog suffers from diarrhea, that will happen again and again. Follow our advice, so that your four-legged friend will recover as soon as possible!